The festival of lights is here. The entire city is lit up with colorful lamps and lanterns.I don’t need to mention that the fireworks have already begun. I love this festival.Diwali also brings along my favourite treats (Faral).I am really glad Vee has chosen JFI theme as Diwali treats.
Anarsa is one of my most favourite snacks for Diwali.I remember how we would eagerly wait every Diwali for my Grandmother to make them. The ingredients are quite simple..Rice and jaggery. The end result though depends on 3 Ps- Preparation, Patience and Practice. I learnt to make them from my Grandmother. Even though they are readily available here, I love making them at home just to reconnect with my treasured childhood memories of my Grandmother.
This recipe needs preparation in advance.But is worth the effort.
So go on and enjoy my grandmothers recipe this Diwali for Anarsa
- To make 10- 12 Anarsas you need
- Wash and soak rice in water for 3 days. Change the water everyday.Drain the rice and spread it on a cotton cloth and let it dry nicely.Grind this to a fine powder and sieve it through a fine mesh(the one you use for sieving all purpose flour).Add the grated jaggery and mix nicely. Press the mixture nicely and keep it closed /covered for 5-6 days. Knead this mixture into a pliable dough sprinkling a little milk if required.
- You will need very little milk. So just sprinkle the milk and knead. Take a plastic sheet and sprinkle the poppy seeds on it. Make small lemon sized ball from the dough and press it lightly on the poppy seeds. Flatten the dough into a round.Apply some ghee to your hand if the dough sticks.
- Meanwhile heat the ghee. Fry the Anarsa in the Ghee with the poppy seeds side up.Keep on splashing ghee over the upper side of the Anarsa with the ladle without disturbing the Anarsa. Fry till the Anarsa is golden brown. The poppy seeds side of the Anarsa will have a siort of a mesh on it once it is fried.You have to be careful with the oil temperature here.Heat it on medium flame or else the Anarsa will break.
- Remove the Anarsa and drain the ghee. To drain the ghee keep the Anarsa in a vertical position. Cool nicely…5-6 hours or till crisp and store it in an airtight container.
Happy Diwali to all of you. May this festival sparkle your life with joy and happiness. Have a safe Diwali.