Power Breakfast for these 'under the weather' days
The monsoon bug does not seem to leave our house; it’s been almost like a hospital for the past few days! The wet sultry days are no help for recovery. The coughing and sneezing seems to have affected the palate as well as the appetite. Quick, wholesome food is helping us sustain these depressing days.
Here’s a recipe for a quick and wholesome Cracked wheat (Dalia) Upma dressed up with corn, moong bean sproutsand a few spices. Corn was added for the little ‘corn fan’ in the house. To pep up our appetites I added some kasuri Methiand a hint of Pav Bhaji masalato the cracked wheat, and that’s what is did-jazzed up our meal!
Here’s the recipe:
2 cups Cracked wheat, washed and pressure cooked (with salt and 3 ½ cups water)
- Lemon juice, coriander/mint leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the tadka ingredient; mustards seeds-cumene seeds-turmeric- redchillies.
- Add the onion and ginger garlic paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the corn and moong beans.
- Add salt and mix nicely (the cooked Cracked wheat also contains salt.)
- Cook covered for ~5-6 minutes. (Don’t overcook, the corn and moong sprouts should be crunchy)
- Add the Pav Bahji masala.
- Crush and sprinkle the Kasuri Methi.
- Add the cooked Cracked wheat and peanut powder, mix well.
- Cook covered for 1-2 minutes more.
- Garnish with Lime juice/coriander/mint leaves and serve hot.
Note: You can use any fresh vegetables of your choice along with the corn and Moong sprouts.