I promise this is going to be one of the last ‘themed’ recipes. I have been cooking themed food in my house for the last month or so J
Now if I repeat any vegetable in a week , Ajay thinks that’s the theme for some blog event! Now-a-days my monthly grocery/ vegetable list is also influenced by the Blog events.
Coming to Zunka-I have earlier posted about Pithla. Zunka is a drier version of this Pithla with or without vegetables. I have added Fresh green fenugreek (Methi) leaves and onion to this Zunka. You can substitute fenugreek leaves with any vegetable like cabbage, bottlegourd, capsicum or just lots of onions and coriander leaves. This type of Zunka with vegetable is also called as Pith perleli Bhaji ( Pith is flour, perleli is to sow and Bhaji is a curry- so curry with flour) in some parts of Maharastra.This week our Numerologisttells us to use Z for any recipe on our blog so here it is- Methi Zunka.
Zunka for this week’s A to Z of Indian Vegetables
For about 2-3 servings
For the tempering/tadka:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Do the tadka- mustard seeds-cumene seeds-turmeric powder.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves and the green chillies.
- Fry for a few seconds and add the chopped onions.
- Fry till translucent and then add the fenugreek leaves and salt.
- Mix nicely and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Some amount of moisture will be realised while cooking the fenugreek leaves. If you think the methi leaves are too dry sprinkle a little water.
- Add the Besan gradually with one hand and stirring constantly with the other.
- Adjust the proportion of Besan till it takes up all the moisture. (Consistency of Zunka should be dry.)
- Cook for a few more seconds.
- Serve hot.
Zunka teams up well with Bhakri.This Zunka with veggies is so delicious that I prefer to have it as it is -like upma!