Some very good reasons prompted me to make this cake:
#- I found dried Orange flavoured Cranberries in the supermarket here. I had never tasted Cranberries before. Many people here don’t even know what are Cranberries. I was one of them! But I am very experimentive with my cooking and hence grabbed the packets of Dried Cranberries as soon as I saw them. ( that too at an offer I couldn’t resist1 pk. Free with the other! J)
#- My niece turns three this week and came down from Mumbai to visit us this weekend. I wanted to bake a cake for her b’day – celebrating in advance. Kids generally like Chocolate flavoured cakes.
#-I had baked a plain Marble cake 2 years ago with one of my very good friend, Deepa’s recipe. My hubby kept on asking me to bake it again (that’s his way of appreciating my food!) But I never got around making it till now!
Dried Cranberries, Chocolate Flavour and hubby’s request all put into one I baked – Marble cake with Cranberries.
(I have lost Deepa’s Marble Cake recipe which I scribbled on a piece of paper. So I just added the ingredients in proportions I faintly recalled J)
- 250 gm Maida (All purpose flour)
- 250 gm sugar powdered
- 250 gm butter (I used Amul)
- 4 eggs
- xbd tsp baking powder
- 3 - 4 drops Vanilla essence
- 2 tsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
- xbe cup Orange Cranberries dried flavoured
- Sieve Maida and baking powder together. Keep it aside. In a bowl cream the sugar and butter. Beat it in one direction using a cake spatula till light and fluffy. Beat eggs (just 1 spin in the mixer).Add some beaten eggs to the sugar-butter mixture and mix properly. Repeat till all the beaten eggs are mixed properly with the sugar butter mixture. Fold in some sieved Maida and baking powder mix. Repeat for the rest of the Maida. Add milk. The mixture should be of dropping consistency. Adjust the amount of milk accordingly.Add Vanilla essence and mix properly.Add the dried Cranberries and mix. Divide the mixture into two. Keep one portion as it is. To the other half add Cocoa powder and mix well. Grease a round (any shape will do) baking pan, dust it with Maida.Alternatively put 1 spoon of the Vanilla and Cocoa mixture in the pan.Bake it in a preheated oven at 180oC for about 35-40 minutes or till a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.Cool on a wire rack.
- I had three little helpers with me aged :3 yrs, 16 months and 10 months!They could hardly wait to cut the cake. So there was no chance of a photograph before the cake was cut!My little niece has cut this cake and mamiu2019s(aunty's) Marble Cake with Cranberries was a hit with her.
- Have to bake it again next weekend for my dear hubby since he could get only a piece of it-indication that the cake came out really well!
I love Cranberries – One thing that I like at Thnksgiving is the Cranberry Sauce..Yummmmmmm.
I am going to this the easy way – with the prepackaged Marble cake mix 🙂
Wow..Lovely cake..looks great..
@Thanks a lot…shilpa ur comments always encourage me!