These Crepe Packets have been on my mind for quite some time. I had seen crepe packets with a fish filling (I think) on a food show on TV some time back. I forgot to note down the recipe and also forgot where I saw it, but the idea kept hovering in my head.
There is an ever hungry lad in my house who, sometimes, needs to be fed every hour! The little lady on the other hand is very very choosy. Finding a balance between their diverse tastes and wants is quite a challenge. One rainy afternoon (yesterday actually 🙂 ) when the kids had a holiday, they pestered me to make something ‘nice & tasty’ and so the crepe packets were made! I am happy to report that these Spicy Crepe Packets got a thumbs up from both of them and both of them thought they were ‘nice & tasty’.
Since I did not remember the recipe I saw, I used a basic crepe recipe. Mushrooms & Corn are loved by the kids in any form. So they went into the filling. The veggies were flavoured with a Cajun spice mix and fresh Oregano from our garden. But as you will see from the recipe, pretty much any seasoning or masala mix or for that matter any filling of your choice should be ok. The lad had the Crepe packets with Sriracha Sauce while the little lady preferred it with Tomato sauce. I thought they were good on their own too.
The crepe packets were accompanied by a glass of Hot Chocolate (made with a Homemade Hot chocolate mix) and the awesome weather !
Participating in food events provides the much needed motivation for me to blog regularly or I just keep posting photographs on My Foodcourt’s FB page or Twitter or Instagram ( If you are not already following me, please do so now 🙂 Thank you)
These Spicy Crepe Packets is my second entry to the Monsoon Snack Recipe Challenge @ The Hub hosted by Archana’s Kitchen
Thanks Archana, the Hub is providing the much needed blogging motivation for me 🙂
Here’s the recipe for Spicy Crepe Packets
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour / Maida
- 1/4 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup Oat Flour (I used powdered instant oats )
- 1 Tbsp butter or ghee melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- water as required to get a thin consistency batter
- 1 Pinch baking powder (optional)
- 1 packet button mushrooms cleaned, stems removed and finely chopped (~ 1 cup chopped mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup sweet corn Kernels
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 Bell pepper,small finely chopped (Red/Yellow or both)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Cajun Spice mix (I used Spice Supreme)
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes Flakes
- salt to taste
- cheese Grated, as required
- oregano Few Fresh or dried leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 egg for brushing and sealing the crepe packets
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee or butter for frying the packets
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Add the Garlic and onion and sautxe9 for few minutes.
- Add the corn and cook covered for 4-5 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and cook on high flame till the water evaporates (2-3 minutes).
- Add the bell peppers and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the spice mix, salt, chilli flakes and oregano leaves.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Sift the flours, salt and baking powder together.
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender or by hand .The consistency of the batter should be thin. Add more water if required. Sieve to remove any lumps.
- Keep the batter aside for xbd hr to 45 mins.
- Heat a nonstick pan.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and swirl the pan immediately to spread the batter evenly. (I used a 6u201d non stick pan)
- Cook for 30-40 seconds or brown spots just appear on the bottom
- Take it out the crepe and place it on a flat surface.
- Repeat the procedure for more crepes
- Place a crepe, cooked side up on a flat surface.
- Place about 1 tbsp filling in the centre. Grate some cheese over it.
- Fold 1 side of the crepe over the filling and brush with egg.
- Fold the other side and brush again with egg.
- Fold the ends to make a packet and press slightly to seal.
- Brush with egg on the folded side as well as the other side.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter or ghee in the same non stick pan and place the crepe packets, folded side down .
- Fry on both sides till brown.
- Repeat for other packets.
- Serve Hot immediately with Sauce or Chutney of choice.
Hi. What can i substitute for eggs?
Hi Radhika, sorry about the delay in replying. Increase the amount of baking soda or add some baking powder to the batter. Also you can add a mixture of 1 tablespoon ground flax seed powder + 2-3 tablespoon of hot water. Whisk this , it becomes sticky. Add this to the batter. Hope this helps