Chaat– just the mere mention of the word makes my mouth water. You can’t walk past a ‘Chaatwala’ without sensitizing your taste buds. The last thing on your mind when you enjoy Chaat on the roadside is Hygiene or Health food-That you remember the next day! I have been a ‘Chaat’ person as long as I can remember. When I was small I would argue with my Mom as to why we can’t offer ‘Prasad’(offering to God) of Pani Puri/Bhel Puri to God? Didn’t Gods love it too? J
As I said in my last posts it getting hotter day by day here..temperature soaring to 40-41oC (not usual for us here ,that too in April) People are enjoying Chaat’s and Icecreams on the road side to beat the heat!
We had some guests yesterday; one of our family friend’s daughter is getting married. So I made some Chaat to celebrate her engagement.Once in a while you can indulge (I do this often!) in these spicy, mouthwatering chaats and since they are made at home…you need not count the plates!
Basic ingredients for chaat:
Chaats will not be chaats without these chutneys:
1. Green Chutney : Mint-Coriander-green chilly chutney
2. Sweet sour Chutney : Dates –Tamarind chutney
Other optional chutney
3. Red Chutney: Red chilly-Garlic chutney
These Chutneys can be stocked up in the fridge and will stay good almost for a week.This chutney is required for Sev Puri,Ragda pattice etc..
Other ingredients common to most of the Chaats are:
- 1 tsp chaat masala3-4 tsp Panu Puri masala Add the Pani Puri masala to the watery Green ChutneyKeep the Puris in a Plate. Serve the chutneys, moong sprouts in wide mouthed bowls. Add the chaat masala to the potato and keep it in another bowl alongside the chutneys.
- To eat:Make a small hole in the centre of each puri with the nail of your thumb. These puris arequite delicate so be careful while breaking them-you want the whole puri intact except a small hole. Add the xbcspoon moong beans , xbcspoon mashed potato to all the Puris. Now you get rewarded for your patience. Without thinking twice dip the first puri in the Green chutney(remember it is spicy) fill the puri as much as you want, then proceed to the DT chutney fill the puri and put it straight in your mouth-full puri. Repeat for other puris.
- Enjoy the spicy mouthwatering Pani Puris!Bliss personified!
Jeez.Every other person I know is making Chaat.
Btw- it looks yummy. Who is getting engaged? Drop me a line.
All the dishes are looking so delicious and made my mouth water.I feel like just grabbing them and having them.Nice
@Thanks Inder..You are welcome!
It looks so professional. Just feel like grabing. Very nice presentation and clear recipe. Will try sometime. Tks for sharing this. Have a good day. Viji
@Thanks Viji and I am glad you liked the recipes.Let me know when you try out any of them.
Ohh god…I miss them so much. Prasad of chaats?? I would love that too :)). I wish I could grab some from your pictures :). I used to eat a lot of chaat in Bangalore every week. Now I miss them. These days we have an Indian store around 3-4miles from home which serves chaats. The problem is, though they are very good, they are slightly different. They are not even consistent with the taste :(.
@ Thanks Shilpa.Your encouragement means a lot to me.I know consistency is very important especially in chaats!
yumm!…. its mouth watering. i miss these chats so……much
you have a lovely blog here!
loved the presentation
hey this is not fair, all together !! i guess u must have had a delicious time!!
@ I did Padmaja 🙂
Oh my God..this is so troublesome..Not fair on ur part to just post pictures without feeding us any of these..I have had these moments where I simply crave to eat chat..We get all types of chat in boxes here..but it’s not the same as the raste wala chat:). These home-made recipes look mouth watering..Thanks for making me feel J:)
@ 🙂 Thanks Swapna..I wish I could send you some..I know what you mean about the craving.
This is so tempting. I support you on making this prasad:). I am sure then I would be shuttling from one temple to another. Love you little slideshow.
@Thanks Reena. 🙂
superb1 whatever information and knowledge u have given given us about chaat is great. but i wish u have should have given me some new inovative chaat recipe. thanks
Hey chaat corner is always been my fanvorites…You have a new customer for chaat yummy ……haha