Weekend Chaating-From Chaat Street
Chaat- just the mere mention of the word makes my mouth water. You can’t walk past a ‘Chaatwala’ without sensitizing your taste buds. The last thing on your mind when you enjoy Chaat on the roadside is Hygiene or Health food-That you remember the next day! I have been a ‘Chaat’ person as long as I can remember. When I was small I would argue with my Mom as to why we can’t offer ‘Prasad’(offering to God) of Pani Puri/Bhel Puri to God? Didn’t Gods love it too? J
As I said in my last posts it getting hotter day by day here..temperature soaring to 40-41oC (not usual for us here ,that too in April) People are enjoying Chaat’s and Icecreams on the road side to beat the heat!
We had some guests yesterday; one of our family friend’s daughter is getting married. So I made some Chaat to celebrate her engagement.Once in a while you can indulge (I do this often!) in these spicy, mouthwatering chaats and since they are made at home…you need not count the plates!
Basic ingredients for chaat:
Chaats will not be chaats without these chutneys:
1. Green Chutney : Mint-Coriander-green chilly chutney
2. Sweet sour Chutney : Dates –Tamarind chutney
Other optional chutney
3. Red Chutney: Red chilly-Garlic chutney
These Chutneys can be stocked up in the fridge and will stay good almost for a week.This chutney is required for Sev Puri,Ragda pattice etc..
Other ingredients common to most of the Chaats are:
For the Churmura:
- 1 tsp chaat masala3-4 tsp Panu Puri masala Add the Pani Puri masala to the watery Green ChutneyKeep the Puris in a Plate. Serve the chutneys, moong sprouts in wide mouthed bowls. Add the chaat masala to the potato and keep it in another bowl alongside the chutneys.
- To eat:Make a small hole in the centre of each puri with the nail of your thumb. These puris arequite delicate so be careful while breaking them-you want the whole puri intact except a small hole. Add the ¼spoon moong beans , ¼spoon mashed potato to all the Puris. Now you get rewarded for your patience. Without thinking twice dip the first puri in the Green chutney(remember it is spicy) fill the puri as much as you want, then proceed to the DT chutney fill the puri and put it straight in your mouth-full puri. Repeat for other puris.
- Enjoy the spicy mouthwatering Pani Puris!Bliss personified!