My Tom and Jerry are back to school-finally! Kids and me both are happy to get back into our regular routine, after a very very long summer break. But that also means rushed mornings and the eternal question of what to make for the lunch box?
This year both kids refused to take the lunch provided at school (it was optional…sigh!) So we are back to prepping everything the previous evening and then putting everything together in the morning. The lad usually isn’t very fussy but the Diva makes up for it! 🙂 These Egg Bhurji Stuffed Pita Pockets have got a thumbs up from her too 🙂
If you have a batch of whole wheat Pita bread handy (I make a batch and store it in the freezer and use as required), this is one of the quickest ways to serve a wholesome, scrumptious meal satisfying your street food cravings .
For an eggless version you can make a Paneer or Tofu scramble in a similar way and stuff the pita pockets with it.
|4 servings||10 minutes|
Egg Bhurji stuffed Pita pockets is a great for the kids lunch box or for a lazy weekend brunch or very handy as a meal/snack ‘on-the-go’. You can even involve the kids to make their own lunch/snack.
- Egg For the Bhurji
- 5 eggs
- 1 onion large , finely chopped
- 1 tomato large , finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum small , finely chopped
- 4 - 5 chilies green , chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli paste (or powder)
- 1 inch ginger piece of , grated
- 2 cloves garlic of , grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon pav masala bhaji
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 teaspoons oil
- to taste Salt
- A handful coriander leaves of fresh , chopped
- For the stuffed Pita Pockets
- 4 whole wheat pita bread (4-5 inch)
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tomatoes sliced lengthwise
- a few wedges Lime to serve
- sprigs coriander of few
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chaat masala for sprinkling
- First make the spicy egg bhurji. For this, first break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk together thoroughly, along with xbd teaspoon salt.
- Then, warm the ghee and oil together in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. To it, add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes till lightly browned.
- Now add the turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, green chilies and the red chilli paste. Sautxe9 for a few seconds more till fragrant.
- Next, add the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes till they just soften. Next, add the capsicum, pav bhaji masala and salt taking care only to add just enough salt for the masala as salt is separately added to the eggs too.
- Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes more till everything is sizzling. Pour in the whisked eggs and stir continuously, with the heat on low-medium, until the eggs are scrambled and blend well with the masala.
- Cook till the scramble is well done, all the time mixing thoroughly. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves on the prepared Egg Bhurji, turn off the heat and set the bhurji aside till you prepare the pockets.
- To assemble the Pita Pockets: Warm the Pita breads in an oven/microwave or directly on a skillet. Cut in half to open up the pockets and make a cavity for the stuffing.
- In the cavity, place a few slices of the onion, tomato and 1-2 sprigs of fresh coriander. Then, fill the pockets with the Egg Bhurji, sprinkle chaat masala and serve with a wedge of lime/lemon.
Leave a Reply