Champakali is a traditional deep fried snack usually made during Diwali. I think the name refers to the ‘bud’ shape of the snack. This flower shaped savoury Champakali is a modified version of the traditional snack not only in shape but also in taste. Ginger-garlic-coriander are added to the dough to enhance the taste. I had tasted it couple of years ago,when I was invited as a judge for a Diwali special cooking competition organised by a local school. I tried recreating it at home and everyone loved it. Plan to make it again this year, will update here with photos of every step.
Making flower shaped Champakali is a bit tedious, it requires some practice and lots of patience. Once you get a hang of it though the end result is very rewarding – gives you a sense of achievement. If you are looking for a unique, savoury snack for Diwali, this deep fried drip is for you 🙂
- 1 cup maida
- 1 cup besan
- 3-4 tablespoon hot Oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh Coriander leaves
- 3 teaspoon green chilli paste or red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons amchur powder
- 2-3 teaspoons crushed kasoori Methi
- water as required for kneading
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl add the flours,spices,salt and hot oil
- Add water to make a stiff but pliable dough
- Heat oil for deep frying
- Pinch off portion of the dough and roll out into a 8-9 inch circle.
- Use a 3 inch cookie cutter (or the lid of a steel dabba) to cut out 4 circles from it.
- Place 2 circles one over the other. (so that you make 2 stacks)
- With a fork, prick holes all over the stacked circles.
- Keeping the center intact ,make about 4-5 slits around the edge, with a sharp knife.
- Twist the cut portion around itself, to create a flower like shape
- Repeat the above procedure to use up all th dough
- Deep fry on medium heat (in batches) till the Champakali becomes crisp and golden brown.
- Take it out using a slotted soon and drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container
Leave a Reply