Winters in India are synonymous with a delightful bounty of fresh vegetables. This is the season when the markets are brimming with fresh Green peas (matar) amongst other gorgeous produce. Shelling the peas to make your favourite dishes or for preserving them, can be a family bonding activity.
If you are done making the Matar parathas , pulav, ghugnis, curries and other such popular dishes, here’s a quick and delicious way to enjoy this nutritious legume while it is still in season- Green Peas & Feta open toast sandwich.
Open Toast Sandwich
Also referred to as bruschetta/crostini or tartines, depending on the bread used, is a versatile appetizer/snack made using toasted bread and a variety of toppings. You can make ahead the toppings and assemble the toasts just before serving. I even love to have open toasts for a quick breakfast or brunch. You can use whole wheat/multigrain bread instead of white bread.
I plan to post a series of Open toast sandwiches using local seasonal produce or some unusual toppings. Stay tuned and meanwhile you can add your inputs in the comments and let me know what is/are your favourite open toast sandwich topping/s?
This minty Green peas & Feta topping derives its flavours from the popular Middle Eastern specialty- Hummus. Sesame seeds apart from increasing the health quotient, also add crunch to it. Most of the ingredients are easily available in our regular pantry. Feta cheese is also available in most gourmet shops . You can skip it if you cannot find it or substitute it with paneer. You can adjust the quantity of the ingredients to your taste.
- 6 slices of crusty (preferably) bread
- 1 cup fresh green peas, blanched
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted and roughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon yogurt, whisked
- 2-3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Crumbled Feta cheese as required
- Handful of mint leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Herbs of choice for garnish (fresh thyme leaves go really well with peas)
- Toast the bread slices till they become crisp.
- Mash the peas in a blender (or with a masher) reserving some whole peas for garnish.
- Add the mashed peas, crushed sesame seeds,garlic,mint leaves,pepper,olive oil,lime juice,salt and mix.
- Spread the peas mixture on the toasted slices.
- Top with some feta and herbs (if using)